The Thomas County Public Library strives to exist as an organization that is accessible to all individuals regardless of age, skin color, gender identity or disablity. We not only have an open door, but we are making every effort to accomodate to the needs of those with disabilities. Here are few of the programs and equipment available to assist in making what we have to offer accessible across the board.
Georgia Library Service for the blind and print disabled
Through Georgia Library Service (GLS) for the Blind and Print Disabled, Georgia Public Library Service provides library services for individuals who are blind or whose physical abilities require the use of books and magazines in audio, braille or other adapted formats.
GLS provides vital reading materials in accessible formats. Individuals are eligible if they are blind, low vision, or physically unable to hold a book and turn the page. GLS services are also available to those with reading disabilities such as dyslexia.
What does the Georgia Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled offer?
- Access to a collection of narrator-read audiobooks
- Access to the large print collection from the entire PINES network
- Access to the Bookshare collection in a variety of formats including text-to-speech audio, braille or highlight text
- Access to embossed and digital braille
- A digital talking book machine that is very simple to use
- Free postage to return materials
- Telephone support from GLS Reader Advisors who can help patrons select the books that they want to read
- An app for instant access to audiobooks for mobile devices for those who are comfortable with technology
- Access to a collection of audio described popular movies on DVD or Blu-Ray
- Remote programming include book clubs, children’s summer reading programs, peer support groups
- (When not in a pandemic) Live programs such as keyboard classes, iPhone classes, and book discussion groups
Could someone you know benefit from reading materials in an accessible format? Learn more about Georgia Library Service (GLS) for the Blind and Print Disabled by clicking the image below.
Assistive Reading Equipment
These items are available for in-library use.
MAGNILINK VOICE is a reading machine – just push the orange button and convert text into speech! Easy set up, simply move the camera arm up and start. Adaptable to the individual user, by adjusting reading speed, volume, audio profiles, voices, light and more. Reads misaligned documents and a full A4 /US Letter page with automatic language detection.
The featuring a 4.3” HD TFT LCD screen with anti-glare coating and LED illumination! Mobilux® Digital Touch HD is a portable video magnifier with three brightness settings, adjustable ‘lines & blinds’ for precise page orientation, and various tone settings will ensure a comfortable, accurate visual experience for users.
The MAGNILINK S is a portable camera system with autofocus, which can be connected to a computer or directly to an external monitor. The system is controlled via keyboard and/or control box.