This is Thomas County Public Library.

The first offical “library” established in Thomasville, Georiga was on February 16, 1880 and became a truly free public library on January 1, 1964. It became its own entity and an established regional library system on July 1, 1988.

Serving Thomas County, Georgia, the TCPLS is headquartered in Thomasville, Georgia with neighborhood branches in surrounding towns of Boston, Coolidge, Meigs, Ochlocknee and Pavo.

TCPLS is a part of the Georgia Public Library Service (GPLS) which is the state library administrative agency and a unit of the Board of Regents, University System of Georgia. By joining GPLS, Thomas County Library is able to provide its patrons access to GPLS services and programs such as:

Georgia Library Public Information Network for Electronic Services (PINES)

PINES is the public library automation and lending network for more than 300 public libraries and service outlets in 146 counties. PINES serves patrons in all 159 Georgia counties, creating a statewide borderless library that provides equal access to information for all residents. Georgians who hold PINES library cards have access to a shared collection of more than 11 million materials that can be delivered to their home libraries free of charge.

Youth Services and Family Literacy

Georgia Public Library Service coordinates the annual statewide Summer Reading Program to encourage children and families to read during school vacations; this program is critical to prevent summer learning loss. Libraries also host literacy-based activities, and children receive rewards for achieving reading goals. About 1.7 million children and young adults attend at least one of the 48,000 programs designed for and offered to them by Georgia’s public libraries throughout the year.

Georgia Library Learning Online (GALILEO)

Georgia Public Library Service ensures that all Georgia public libraries and their patrons have access to GALILEO, the state’s virtual library that provides online access to thousands of periodicals, journals, books, business directories and government publications. Library users also can access many resources at home or wherever they have an internet connection.

Georiga Libraries for Accessible Statewide Services (GLASS)

GLASS is the statewide network that provides library services for the blind and those whose physical abilities require materials in digital audio formats or in braille. GLASS serves Georgia residents through a central library, a subregional library and a distribution center. Library users who are not able to visit one of the libraries in person may obtain talking books and other materials through the mail free of charge.

Continuing its commitment to learning for education and entertainment, the Thomas County Library offers a variety of free programs for adults, teenagers and children. From local author visits to theatre performances, everyone can find something to meet his or her interests. The Library also provides classes for learning to use computers and the Internet.

Along with its collection of books, periodicals, audio books, DVDs and video cassettes, and more, the Thomas County Library offers numerous electronic resources through its Website and its numerous subscription databases, most of which can be accessed round the clock from any computer. With computer terminals featuring Internet access, educational software and more available at the main library and each neighborhood branch, Thomas County Library is well-equipped to meet the needs of the community in this digital age.

Library Locations

Boston Carnegie Library

Established in the fall of 1914. Renovated and re-opened as a branch of TCPLS on December 5, 1993. Boston is said to be the smallest city in the United States to have a Carnegie Library.

Gladys H. Clark Public Library – Ochlocknee Library

Opened on September 1, 1937, but burned down on April 30, 1955. Re-opened under the efforts of board chariman Gladys H. Clark in 1985 with a memorial stained glass window incorporated on May 23, 1993.

Meigs Library

Established in 1937 and a larger, new building constructed and opened on October 24, 1993.

Coolidge Library

The city had bookmobile service only until a building constructed and opened on October 31, 1993.

Pavo Library

Established and housed at the Pavo Men’s Club on July 21, 1987. Moved to the remodeled Pavo Women’s Club and opened on May 16, 1993.