Student PLAY Library Card
The PINES Library Card Access for Youth (PLAY) program gives students free access to public library materials and online resources to help them succeed in school. Thomas County Public Library System (TCPLS) is partnered with Thomas County School System to provide the PLAY program to students of all ages.
The public library provides free access to books and online resources to help your child succeed in school, as well as fun resources that help develop a lifelong love of reading. Your public library is available all year long, including the summer months and has a physical branch in every town within Thomas County.
Get ready to PLAY!
- Search the PINES catalog of over 11 million items for books, DVD’s audiobooks and more at over 300 libraries across Georgia
- Access to the Online World Book Encyclopedia and nonfiction ebooks
- Sign up for Mango languages… learn a new language
- Access practice test for the SAT, PSAT and many others
- Borrow thousands of ebooks, emagazines and audiobooks with Libby and eReads Kids
- And that’s just a few!
- Pay no late fees! (fees apply only for lost or damaged items)
- Borrow up to five items (books, DVD’s, audiobooks, etc.)
- Request items from over 300 PINES libraries across Georgia for free delivery to your local library
- Utilize our many public computers to work, play and print
- Attend free storytelling, art classes, activities and special events
- Film on a green screen, tinker with robotics or 3D printing and more!
Search the PINES catalog HERE.
PLAY Library Card #: 3-letter school district (XXX) followed by student ID number. (ie., TCS123456)
PLAY password: 6-digit student birth month and year (MMYYYY)
Students may check out up to five (5) physical items from the Thomas County Public Library System including books, audiobooks, CDs, DVDs and family passes. Students may also request books from PINES partner libraries across the state through the PINES lending-borrowing network.
No - the PLAY account and access to library resources and services is free.
There are NO overdue fines, but users are responsible for fees on lost or damaged items.
- There are no overdue fines. Fees apply only for lost or damaged materials.
- Students can access online resources from home, school, or the library.
- Students can check out materials from a collection of 11 million items through the PINES.
- The PLAY program reduces the barriers to getting a library card by providing direct access to library services.
Students are always welcome at the library with or without a library card. There are after-school activities, special events, and seasonal reading programs that are free and open to all. The library also offers free and open access to library computers, internet, and quiet places to study. Students are also able to check out passes to parks and museums around the state.
As of 7 Sept. 2021, the Thomas County Schools System are participants.
Students can visit any Thomas County Public Library System branch or any of the 300 participating PINES partner libraries across the state.
The PLAY account allows students to borrow five (5) items at a time and have full access to online resources. If you want your child to borrow more items, you can apply for a free Thomas County Public Library PINES card at any time. Visit the library with your photo ID.
You can continue using the existing library card. Your PLAY account is separate and does not accrue fines.
Students maintain the same PLAY account until they move outside of the school system or graduate.
When a student graduates, their PLAY account will remain active for one year. During that time, they may visit the library in person to apply for a regular PINES library card.
A student can apply online for a library account for digital access only. Or visit your local library in person to apply for a library card. If under the age of 18, a parent/guardian’s contact information and consent are required. Learn more and apply at HERE.
Parents/caregivers will have the ability to see what is checked out on the account of a minor.
Yes, per Official Code of Georgia § 21-12-30(a) Confidential Nature of Certain Library Records.
You may choose to opt-out of the program by notifying the main office at TCSS or completing the form found at the Thomas County Schools website.
The purpose of this program is to provide every student in the Thomas County School System (TCSS) with public library card access provided by the Thomas County Public Library System (TCPLS). To this end, the parties agree to undertake the following:
- TCSS agrees to designate TCPLS as a school official for purposes of FERPA, and to provide access to personally identifiable student information only in accordance therewith.
- TCSS will provide TCPLS with the following for every student enrolled in TCSS: student ID number, first and last name, birth date, school, grade, address, phone number, and parent email address.
- TCPLS will integrate TCSS Student ID numbers with TCPLS/PINES Library accounts to allow every student enrolled in TCSS instant access to TCPLS databases and materials. Implementation will include training for students and staff on TCPLS's educational resources.
- At all times during the use or maintenance of the student information provided for in this agreement, TCPLS agrees that is subject to the direction and control of the TCSS with regard to the handling of the above-described student information.
- Upon the specific, written request of any parent, guardian or eligible student, TCPLS agrees to permanently destroy any student information for said student obtained under this agreement. This provision shall be inapplicable to any separately or independently created TCPLS records associated with the student.
If a parent disagrees with any of the above, they may choose to opt-out their child from access. Please click the the Opt-Out link HERE.