TCPLS Job Openings
Thank you for your interest in working for the Thomas County Public Library System. We understand that applying for a job can be a vulnerable and stressful process. Please note that your application will be received and directed to the correct department. We will contact applicants who fulfill the qualifications and meet the needs of the positions currently available, and respectful request that applicants not call to follow-up on their application status.
LIBRARY BRANCH ASSISTANT
Location: Boston, Georgia
Job Type: Part-Time
Wage: $11.00 per hour
The Thomas County Public Library System is currently looking for an enthusiastic, flexible and creative individual to serve as the library branch assistant of one of its county libraries located in Boston, Georgia. This is a part-time position working up to 19 hours per week, Monday through Thursday from 1:15pm – 6.00pm plus occasional weekends in Thomasville Branch (non-negotiable).
Ideal candidates must have a positive attitude, possess excellent computer skills with good written and oral communication skills. Good judgement, patience, and courtesy when working with a variety of individuals with differing needs and abilities is necessary.
Duties will include:
- Assisting Branch Manager with programs for children and adults.
- Helping with bulletin boards, displays, and decorations.
- Assisting patrons in using the library resources, including computers.
- Checking materials in and out of the Branch, so that materials are accounted for.
- Maintaining order of the Branch by monitoring patrons’ behavior.
- Helping keep shelves and materials neat and ready for use.
- Cleaning library between regular maintenance visits.
- May need to work alone to open, operate, and close the Branch, in the absence of the Branch Manager.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Some knowledge and skill in the operation of computers, computer software, keyboards, and cash registers.
- Ability to learn and explain policies and procedures related to circulation or use of library media.
- Ability to deal effectively with library members and vendors in telephone and in-person contacts.
- Ability to understand and carry out moderately complex oral and written instructions.
- High school diploma or equivalent certification preferred.
- Previous experience in a library/bookstore/customer service environment.
- Also, desirable: Bilingual (English/Spanish/Chinese).
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Must be able to climb ladders or stepstools, push and pull book carts, and lift and carry books.
- Must be able to read and discern computer screens and book labels.
To Apply: Complete an application online, in-person or drop off a resume to the Thomasville or Boston Library. Resumes may be also be emailed to Business@TCPLS.Org with the subject: Boston Branch Assistant